Tuesday, February 17, 2009

It should go without saying, but you may not turn Shivery into a Twilight fanfic

Hi. Thanks for coming. A nice person whose name I don't think I can mention (I don't want her to get harassed) let me know that someone in the Twilight fandom is in the process of stealing my story Shivery and making it into a Twilight fic.

I wrote Shivery over a period of two years. As far as fanfics go, it has a plot. It has lots of original characters thought up by me. There are attempts at literary references. There is research and whatnot.

While the person doing this has accused me of plagiarizing my own story that I posted five years before she even showed up, I am more than capable of describing how the story came to be, and how I thought up the stuff that's in it, as well as providing eleventy million pages of rough draft and the sworn testimony of beta readers. (None of which I am going to be doing because of the aforementioned space/time continuum trump card - which I don't think I even need, because for the love of God, could this situation get any stupider???)

So basically what I'm asking of you is that you knock on this door and take a gander and see for yourself. And when you've confirmed to your satisfaction that this story is exactly the same as this story please leave her a polite comment saying, This is not your story.
And then make an abuse report.

If you could see your way clear to doing that it would be awesome.

Thanks for reading.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe you should get a fucking brain green eve. Where does Your Weak's End say that he/she accused you of plagerizing your own story? He/she doesn't, an unknown reviewer who enjoyed the story twilight style did and was being supported of the author. Get a fucking life. It's a story. Hell, it's a story that you posted on the internet just asking to the copied. Your lucky that Your Weak's End only posted it as fanfiction when anybody could have published it.

Anonymous said...

YOU'RE STEPHENIE MEYER!!!!!!!!!!

Anna Diamond said...

Success - the story was removed, and by the looks of it the user who had no concept of respect or dignity.

It's made me quite ashamed to be part of a fandom where a bunch of 13 year olds think it's okay to steal someone elses hard work, use the find and replace function to change everything to "twilightify" it.

And to Anon. .. you must be one of these 13 year olds I was talking about with no sense of respect or dignity. Just because it is there, does not mean that it is acceptable in any way to copy it.

I am glad in this instance "justice" was served. You rightfully won this one fair and square, Green Eve. :)

Anonymous said...

It's good that the story has been taken down, and it's great to hear that you are still alive, and to read what you have to say about Shivery. But why didn't you say anything about why you haven't finished the story, or if you are still writing? I would love to know, and I hope you are still writing.

Bambi said...

Looks like the story got taken down. That's good - Plagiarism sucks. I hate to be 'this girl' and I would never normally do this, but I was wondering if you willingness to defend "Shivery" from plagiarism was an indicator of a renewed interest in the story? It's just, I've never been so invested in a fan fiction! I started reading it at 2:00am - It's now nearly 8am, and I can't get it out of my head. I know she doesn't die (since you make references to her in the future with "one of her girlfriends") which means the story simply cannot end there! I think I speak for ALOT of people, when I say I was greatly appreciate a little bit of closure on such an amazingly written story.

Anonymous said...

I love how you don't even tell your fans why you did not finish Shivery but then expect them to report abuse for your story. How sad